Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 May 1994 22:57:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Dean Paul Karpowicz <chinaski@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>
Subject:      Story about my '84

Well, I just wanted to tell everyone about the changes that my '84 has gone through in the last few weeks.

I will start by telling you about the stock vehicle. I have an '84 Wolfsburg Vanagon. This comes with P/S, screens and curtains and the bed.

I received a fold-up table from a ASI (I think) converted Bus friend of mine, and wanted to install it in my '84. The only way that I could think of was to remove the center seat, but I didn't want to lose the passenger carrying capacity, not to mention the storage space under the middle seat!

I started by turning the middle seat around and bolting it to a piece of 3/4 plywood and then bolting the wood to the floor. The seat is now right behind the drivers seat facing backward. I used the stock rails, so the seat is still removeable.

I mounted the table to the wall (with big screws and backed wi a 2x4) between the two seats. It swings up and down perfectly!!!

I bought some carpet padding and installed it over the newly butchered origional VW underlayment, glued it down, and glued new van carpet over it.

I picked up one of those peltier type coolers (Igloo Thermoelectric) which sits like a fridge right next to the rear facing seat.

I added two extra cigar lighter sockets below the dashboard (for the fridge and the Game Gea:-) )

The last thing I found was an overhead light from an RV store. I wiinstalled it in place of the rear dome light. It is damn bright!!!

The next (soon) project is the dual battery/isolator/rewiring project!!

I also adjusted the rear brakes.... Whew, what a nut!!! really!!! I had a 3/4 breaker bar with an eight foot piece of pipe on the end of it. The breaker bar (craftsman) just bent!!! I had to apply tension and beat the crap out of the bar by the nut with a hand sledge!!! Bottom line: It was worth it!!! The brakes work great now ...

To anybody out there that has wired dual batteries: can I just wire certain systems (at the fuse box) to the other battery? I want to put the cigar lighter circuit (which also powers the stereo), the dome lights, and the heater blower on the aux battery.

I think that I'll put some sort of relay between the batteries to connect them when the car is running and disconnect them when it's off...

Thanks

Hank