Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 May 94 23:14 CDT
From:         Joel Danke <JDANKE@macc.wisc.edu>
Subject:      1.6L & 1.7L swap for 2.0L parts

Hi!

I'm a new subscriber having only played with the idea of owning a bus until recently. After seeing one parked next to a service station for a while, I asked if it was for sale. Two months later, I found out it was. Two days and $250 later, I'm the proud owner of a '77 bus (station wagon).

The reason for the low price is not because the body is in bad shape (after 92,000 miles the upholstery has seen much better days :) ), but because the engine burns a lot -- and I mean maybe 1 or 2 pints per 10 miles -- of oil.

Given that the shop is not known as a foreign shop (much less able to fully appreciate air-cooled wonders), I think that the garage just did not want to deal with a VW rebuild. The owner, who drove it in from WA and is now in SC, probably doesn't have the dough, either.

The bus idles well, and does not leak oil. It could just get a job as a Hollywood fog machine. Plus, something sounds loose inside. It's like John Muir sez, it sounds "like a rattlesnake about to strike." So I've got to take it apart and do a look-see.

OK, here's the hopeful part.

Last year, my dad found a set of Kolbenschmidt, yes, Kolbenschmidt, pistons and cylinders in a carton of tractor parts. These are brand new and include rings, but ONE OF THE CYLINDERS has three broken cooling fins (AAAuuugh!). Also, one of the piston pins is missing. The part number on these is 022-198-075 and the bore is 90mm. This tells me they are for a 1.7L. There is also a red tag on the box which reads "4 vorlandeinst 91-539-960 standard." I have no idea what this means because I can't find my german dictionary (or recall my high school Deutsch).

After my senior year of high school I bought a '66 Squareback which was sitting behind some guy's barn. It was his daughter's who drove it up from Utah on 3 cylinders. I thought, great, a summer project. Well, it has been six years and still no free time in sight (at least for a decent restoration). So I have a complete 1.6L rebuild kit, which I believe is from Johnny's Speed & Chrome. Honestly, I don't remember. My pop sez it's under a bunch of other boxes and will take half an hour to dig out and he doesn't feel like it right now. But it's the whole thing with cylinders, pistons, rings, bearings, seals, oil pump, crank and rods.

*Whew* OK, my situation is that cash is sort of tight, but I'd like to get the bus running. I won't know what's wrong with it until maybe the 8th of June, or later. If anybody has any 2L bearings, pistons, cylinders, etc. That they are interested in selling outright or swapping for the 1.7 or 1.6 engine stuff, I'd love to hear from you. This notice is sort of preliminary to give us all time to mull things over. If you are interested, I could arrange to have photographs of the stuff mailed to you.

I'd prefer to be notified at jdanke@macc.wisc.edu because then I know I'd get the message. But if you want to call, my number is (608) 259-9310.

Thanks in advance. (Fingers crossed and other superstitious luck stuff)

Joel Danke jdanke@macc.wisc.edu