Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 May 1994 16:41:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Dean Paul Karpowicz <chinaski@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>
Subject:      Re: Gas spillage & other oddities

snip

>liquid spilling onto the ground. Looking under the van I saw gas dripping >off the far side of the gas tank. The bottom of the tank was dry, as the >gas was obviously coming from the top of the tank and running off. I would

snip

>Is this a common experience?

Yes (for me anyway)

>My only guess is that the gas was coming from a breather vent at the top >of the tank, but shouldn't that have some sort of a float valve to prevent >this type of thing from happening?

It doesn't !!

>By the way, my first tank of mixed driving yielded 17.8 mpg. I was hoping >to get closer to 20. > > >-- >Jerry Huff huff@dg-rtp.dg.com (919)248-6277 >Data General Unix Software Development RTP, NC 27709 >

I also have an '84 wasserboxer. My fuel gauge is also flakey when at the bottom of the tank. I run out at around 1/4 tank on the gauge!!! This has happened for many years, so it's not a new occurance.

The gas leakage thing also happened to mine after about a year of non-use. The gas tank has a gazillion (really about 16) vent hoses on the top of it. I think that this is due to the inverted saddlebag looking gas tank. There are TWO plastic expansion tanks (one under each weelwell) with two hoses to each, and there are two crossover pipes from one hump to the other. The problem lies in that there are sections of rigid hose between two pieces of flex (rubber) hose and there everywhere down there.

BOTTOM LINE: One or more of the rubber hoses has cracked and is leaking. I disconnected everything (VW uses those lovely hose clamps that you have to cut off!!!) and lowered the tank and replaced all of the rubber line and all of the hose clamps with new ones. You will have to drive around till the tank is almost empty again otherwise it'll wiegh a TON!!!

While you are down there you might want to address a corrosion (external) problem with Vanagon tanks. I just cleaned to bare metal and sprayed with Rust-Oleum and then undercoating before re-installing.

Have fun, while you're at it you might as well buy tons of hose clamps and replace the 15 or so in the engine compartment (along with the lines) I did.

Hank