Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 03 May 94 21:06:57 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      gas spillage & other oddities (huff)

gas spilling out from under the car: ayeah. definitely got one of them hoses split. but it could also be the gasket around the fuel gauge sender unit. maybe. unless you have some hamfisted idiot from the dealer working on your bus, i'd bet on old age and the split little rubber hoses on the vent tubes.

common? no really ... cept maybe on the older buses. the german rubber isn't known for lasting too long. now that i've replaced all my fuel lines, i likely need to replace those little hoses on my 88 as well.

what happen to me was that the idiot dealer didn't put the gasket back when they put the sender back in the tank (remember that recall about the fuel tank for vanagons?) ... so my first fillup dumped about five gallons all over the pavement at the gas station. talk about pissed!!! they had it fixed within 20 minutes after i got back to the dealer! yeah, well, i know it was stupid to drive the thing in that condition, with gas spilling all over the place, but i was really really really irate.

running out of gas: yup, that sounds just about like my 1980 bus when i ran it out twice. just kinda rolls over and goes to sleep. i think it is the fuel pressure that kinda dies slowly, like the pump is pushing a lot of air or bubbles.

17.8 mpg for a first tank of mixed driving sounds not so bad to me ... what was the weather like? if it was cold, the warmup cycle will be longer and the mileage lower. my 88 bus gets an average of 19.4 for mixed driving, but that's over 72,000 miles. most of the time in town i get about 16-18 mpg. on the highway, with a little luck and a good tailwind, i can get over 20 pretty easy. actually got 23 once. :)

joel