Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 03 May 94 22:07:58 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Today is a Holy day...

On Tue, 3 May 94 21:55:35 CDT <BSNICH01@ulkyvm.louisville.edu> said: >Today is a Holy day! I just payed off our 85 Vanagon Westy Camper. However, to

hooray! my 88 bus has been debt free for about a year now ... but do you realize that if i refinanced it (went back into debt), i could buy another bus? :)

... sad, disgusting story of an obviously malicious drunken concrete post... >If they hit me with a rather large body work estimate (aren't they all?) I'd >like to know what it would cost to get the little panel replaced.

uhhhhhhh... i think you might want to consider living with it. the 'little panel' is pretty big, and requires welding along a fairly long line. it would be expensive just for the labor involved, must less the part from a dealer. a good shop might be able to 'tweak' it out so it didn't look so bad.

>Also, I tore up the damn window pull trying to get it off the driver door. I >tried to pry the little brown cover off where it is attached to the door. I >now need to get another one (anyone know where?) and I'd like to know the >proper way to get it on & off w/o trashing it.

when you say the 'window pull', do you mean the crank handle? if so, it's a really straight-forward fix: the little plastic cover snaps on, so you take a small flat screwdriver, and wiggle it between the plastic and the metal 'disk' of the handle (if you pry the edge of the plastic up, you can see the metal ... but don't stick the screwdriver too far under the edge, or you'll be trying to pry up the metal of the handle). then just 'pop' the plastic off and you'll see the metal part of the handle ... with the phillips screw in the middle. IMPORTANT: use the correct 'size' phillips head screwdriver!!! using the 'wrong' size can bugger the screw up and make it much harder to get out. The Voice of Experience Speaks (well, it wasn't my fault ... Arnold was verking at the factory dat veek). i am pretty sure that the window crank handles are pretty much the same from buses to beetles and rabbits. i think i have rabbit cranks on mine. but if you want dealer new, it's about $7. if you want junk yard, it's about $4. if you want a free one, lemme know ... but it's black, not brown. :)

joel