Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 May 94 14:54:32 -0600
From:         "Richard A. Jones" <jones@bakmes.colorado.edu>
Subject:      Re: Upper bushings???

Sounds familiar....

I have an '81 Vanagon and have fought a squeeky bushing for too long. Now I'm waiting for a used upper arm--Recycled Auto is getting ready to take apart a dead Vanagon.

Recycled told me the the dealer's retail price (maybe like $65 each) but quoted me $39. So the dealer sells MUCH cheaper to another auto business(!) If the used arm doesn't do the trick, I'll get new ones and have someone put them on the arm.

My problem is coming from one bushing--the front one on the driver's side. That is clear with a stethoscope at my 911 mechanic's. I have tried getting various lubes into the bushing with only temp success. The noise comes back. It started mostly when very cold, but now is mostly when warm! It is a "groan" kind of noise. When I wash the bus and hit that area, it usually quiets down for a couple of days.

I believe my problem originated when I "jeeped" the thing up some mtn tracks. Later the drop link to the sway bar broke--then broke again--then again. At that point the dealer suggested the lower arm was bent slightly and thus stressing the link. A used lower arm fixed THAT problem. The the groan began!

My arm has no slop--it is tight to pivot when I'm taking it off.

BTW--I filed a groove on the bolthead and note its position. That keeps my camber from changing when I take it apart.

Richard A. Jones Computing & Network Services University of Colorado at Boulder <jones@colorado.edu>