Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 04 May 94 15:37:55 CDT
From:         Chris Venama <CV06089@uafsysb.uark.edu>
Subject:      Re: Leaky exhaust

About that leaky exaust...I have one of the '70 vans. I believe the engine of the '71 changed to a 1700 or something, but the heat exchangers are probably similar. I swapped heat exchangers when rebuilding and found that the heater cables wouldn't reach. So now I just wire the levers ON in winter and undo them in summer. If you disconnect the cables at the exchanger make sure you don't lose the litte connectors that hold them; they will fall right out. If that doesn't fix the exaust problem, your heat exchanger flaps are not working properly; the spring that holds them closed is broken or somehow disconnected. Heat exchangers can be taken off and fixed without engine removal. That's the best quick and dirty fix. DO NOT recommend blocking off the air going thru the exchangers. That will cause the engine to run hot as a firecracker because heat rises to the valve heads and could warp them or destroy the rocker arm cover gaskets, causing the oil to run out...NOT GOOD. There are other things that could cause exaust problems, like a poor seal around the engine. Exaust will inevitably be pulled back thru the fan and into the heater system. An engine compartment seal could be a cheap solution.