Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Jun 94 10:46:19 GMT
From:         william@festival.ed.ac.uk
Subject:      Big engines for Vanagons (was: Re: 77 Bus 2 side doors?)

Hi,

I've emailed this to the vanagon list as well- hope everyone involved is happy for me to have done this.

In article <1.4604.1433.0NB59036@execnet.com>, you write: |> |> I left a message to others about this but I will try with you as |> well. I have been looking for info about the 6 cylinder engine VW |> had developed for the Vanagon but wich never made it to production. |> I have been told it is readily available in Europe as an aftermarket |> upgrade. Is it true? Its cost? Its availability?

OK: Interesting topic! Firstly there's a VW van mailing list called "vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu", subscription requests to vanagon-request, I think, which has some very knowledgeable people on it. Secondly, I think what you're describing is actually a Porsche flat-six conversion- the VW project never really happened but you can do the Porsche conversion in several ways and Oettinger (German converter) will sell various big-engined busses.

Depending on what you want, you may be more interested in a bored-out engine for the vanagon- I have seen discussions about getting 2.3 litre versions of the waterboxer from a US source following a European development, which may also have originated at Oettinger.

Several people on the Vanagon list were trying to raise interest in getting together to persuade an American company which expressed interest in sourcing 2.3 litre engines to tool-up in order to produce a set of them for interested parties.

If you are looking for a beefier vanagon I suggest you subscribe to the list (email me if you have any problems) and then do a troll for information: you will definitely get feedback from some people who have researched this area and who are genuinely interested in getting a workable solution.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, W. +- | W.Warburton@ed.ac.uk "Because of its special customs, crossposting | between alt.peeves and normal newsgroups is | discouraged." -Cameron Spitzer +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=