Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jun 1994 06:21:52 -0400
From:         steve@molly.tn.cornell.edu (S.Smith)
Subject:      getting old blue/white back on the road ...

making some progress in getting the old 83 diesel out of the driveway again - wife has been complaining that it has been scaring all the birds away when we go up to the Montezuma National refuge - i wrestled the panel off under the engine (hour and a half of wrestling with sheet metal screws) and found the header pipe had about a six inch gash in it (actually its a drop pipe between the manifold and the muffler)

thought about just wrapping it but recycled inc in Auburn hills sold me one for $50 - gas burners note - with a $130 muffler the whole diesel exhaust costs only $180!! I bought the beast in 1988 and put the first replacement muffler on it in 1993 - i think (but can prove) that the muffler was original equipment from 83! Our local VW guru has told me this is very likely - the diesel Vanagon has a very short exhaust system so it heats quickly and thus lasts forever.

Btw just got Recycled Incs catalog - new for 94-95 - very informative- they sell lots of new and recycled stuff (for purists, junkyard parts)

The thingi like about having such a source is that i can 'take chances' knowing exactly what it might cost me ... for example, i snapped off a bleed screw on my Quantum front caliper - i could feel it wasnt coming and was going to snap - quick check of the catalog showed they would sell me a replacement (recycled) for $17 - so that was the worst case - this gave me the confidence to snap it off in once clean, professional motion ....

on the hand, when i did the same on an 86 maxima the caliper was $270 - with that knowledge on hand i would have been a d*** sight more careful.

Anyone else out there have a five speed on their vanagon? With my whopping 48 HP its really nice to have an extra gear for hilly Ithaca.