Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jun 94 15:25:30 CDT
From:         Jonathan Dove - VAX Master <JDOVE@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu>
Subject:      Brief clutch/water pump summary

I had some questions sent to me about the work we on our Vanagon. I thought it was best to let everyone know instead of sending back individual responses. This is a brief summary so I may have left a few things out.

Clutch:

It took my father and I six hours to do the whole thing. We could have done it in less time but we did other things and had an hour long lunch. It also helps to have previous experience in clutch replacement. (I have done a few Rabbits, Bugs, MGs, Volvos, and Triumphs throughout the years.)

The only special tools needed is the clutch alignment pin and the socket to remove the cv joint bolts. To support the engine we used wooden blocks and a bottle jack. The transmission was supported by a floor jack. The vehicle was raise up several inches to make it easier to move underneath. It has enough ground clearance that the transmission can be pulled out once it's been disconnected from the engine. We replaced the clutch bearing, disk and the pressure plate which we got at a local import parts place. The disk and plate was the Sachs (or was it F&S?) brand. The flywheel surface was in good condition so we did not have to get it machined. While the transmission was out we also lubricated the clutch lever's plastic bushings.

BTW, in our olden days, (before we got a floor jack and an engine lift three years ago!) we often used various sized blocks of wood, two bottle jacks and a long thick board to do transmission/engine removals. It was slow but it worked.

Water pump:

The major thing is that the engine does not have to come out but it will be a *very* tight fit working there. The big problem is the metal pipe that goes between the pump bracket/housing and the right head. It will be in the way because of the big pulley(s) on the crankshaft. We did not remove it but it makes it harder to work. You will need big pliers if you have the clamps that requires pliers. The only hoses we replaced were the two smallest hoses (1x2 inches?). We used the 1 inch red heavy duty heater hose. It's a very tight fit getting them on but they should last a long time.

I know this is very brief so if you have any questions send me a message.

Jonathan ----------------------------------------- Jonathan Dove jdove@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu 82 Rabbit PU, 83 GTI, 85 Vanagon, 87 Golf -----------------------------------------