Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jul 94 16:06:26 PDT
From:         ui775@freenet.victoria.bc.ca (Alistair Bell)
Subject:      Re: cv-joints: Constant Velocity Marihuana?

> >alistair bell said: > >>flip the axles end for end so that the "other faces" of the cv joints >>are taking the wear (when driving forward!). > >aha! i've wondered about that for a long time! if the outer joints (wheels) >are re-positioned at the transmission ends, it would seem to me that the >much smaller angle and up-and-down motion (of the transmission end) would >mean less wear and tear on the joint. that is, the inner (transmission) >joints shouldn't be as worn as the outer (wheels) ones. so swapping them >end for end (axle-wise) SOUNDS like a really good idea. <but i've been >chicken to try it on my own car. :) > > >>If you are just replacing one cv per axle, I think there is some merit in >>placing the new joint at the end which doesn't make the sharpest (most >>acute?) angle... inboard? > >i would tend to disagree, simply based on the end-to-end swap theory. i >would think that the NEW joint should go where the MOST wear/angle/up-and- >down motion is: the outer (wheels) joints. based on pure conjecture that >the new joint could withstand that much motion better than an old joint. > >any theories on this? i'm coming up on 75,000 miles on my joints (had a >knee go bad about 50,000 ago :) and i think i'll try the end-to-end this >time and see how long this set (started out new at zero miles) will last. > >joel > > Gee joel, looks like we can't raise a controversy over this issue!

I wasn't thinking of up-and-down motion induced wear when flipping axles, but rather the wear on the faces of the races that is more noticable on one face-side than the other. But, hey, the up-and-down motion is important too.

I'm almost sure, maybe, that old Werner suggested putting the new (stiff) cv joint inboard, he wanted the old loose one where it could really swing.

I have to admit, my cv on cv's only includes 4 replacements.

Alistair