Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jul 1994 16:07:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:         John Grunkemeier <grunke@u.washington.edu>
Subject:      Getting a Key Cut From the Lock Code '65 Type II

I just got done re-keying my passenger door lock to match all of the other locks in my 1969 vw camper. I went down to a junk yard and bought a used door handle with lock; and after I got it home I realized that my key did not fit in the lock even with all of the tumblers out. So make sure that the key you are using currently fits all the way into the lock you are going to try to rekey before taking everything apart. If your key does not fit the lock initially then you will not be able to rekey it to match that key. I ended up having to buy another handle and lock that my key fit into.

I don't know if it is possible to rekey the ignition; but it is fairly easy to rekey the door locks (at least the front two I'm not sure about the others). In my door locks there are 8 tumblers. Each tumbler can be one of three types. This gives 3 to the eighth power combinations. I rekeyed the lock I bought at the junkyard as follows. First remove the lock barrel from the handle. Some of them simply slide out and some have a very small set screw covered with paint that you have to scrape off. Once you get the lock barrel out, remove all of the tumblers by pulling them with small pliers or your fingers. Lay the tumblers out and you can see that there are three different kinds. Choose one and put it back in the first slot of the lock barrel. Insert your key into the lock. If you have chosen the correct size then when they key is in the lock the tumbler should not extend out from the lock barrel. If you have chosen the correct tumbler move onto the second one, if not then try another size until you get it right. In this trial and error fashion match as many tumblers as you can. I was only able to match seven of the eight tumblers using the tumblers from the used lock and I used one of my old tumblers from the lock that was broken for the eighth. If you omit one of the tumblers that is probably o.k. since the number of possible combinations is still 3 to the seventh power.

The above description works for the front door locks; but I'm not sure if it applies to the ignition or the other door locks. If you can rekey the ignition as I described then it would probably be easier to rekey it to match the door locks than rekeying all of the doors to match the ignition.

About getting a key made from the number on the lock. Go to your local VW dealer they will do this for you for a small fee.

Good luck

John '69 camper

-- John Grunkemeier (grunke@carson.washington.edu) University of Washington (206) 522-3557 (home) Center for Bioengineering (206) 543-5789 (work) Benson Hall 331 BF-10 Seattle, WA 98195