Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 08 Jul 94 10:04:30 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: sychroning carbs

On Thu, 7 Jul 94 23:14:02 CDT tim c. brim said: >My question lies therein. Is there any way that I can sychronize the carbs >myself? I've read the Bentley and it's very explicit about how you should >"take it to an authorized VW mechanic" to have this done. It then gives this >lenthy definition of how to adjust the carbs.

tim, you can do anything that the mechanics can do IF you have some equipment and experience. mostly experience. :) for equipment, think about what other vehicles have multiple carbs ... like motorcycles! so check at the Honda or Yamaha shops and see how they do it. :) one fellow i know with honda with three carbs built his own 'little' syncronizer: since what he wanted to do was adjust the carbs so that they sucked equally, he got a plywood board and mounted three tubes/loops of water on it. he fixed up a deal so that it would hold one end of the tubes in each carb. then he adjusted the carbs until the levels of the water was the same in each tube. he 'improved' it as he went along: adding a white background with black marks (so he could better tell how much a tube was off from the next), and coloring the water (or did he change to oil?). anyway, it's an old system that they used to call a Manometer, i think. something like that anyway. they also used to use those tubes of fluid to measure air pressure on very old wind tunnels.

the tubes are set up in a S-pattern: my friend made his so that all <-open to air three tubes were very close to _ | each other. / \ | ___ ||| | |x |x <- fluid level / __\ ||| | \_/ |/ _\\ ||| <-carb ---/ ||/ \\\ ||| <- like that ||| ||| |||

>3.) Bentley says you need a CO tester. >Without going out and buying a couple thousand dollar Sun measurement machine >is there a way to test the CO level?

the only way that i have ever heard of for checking the lean-rich mixture (which is why you are checking the CO level) WITHOUT the Sun machine, is to use a pyrometer (exhaust temp) or just a high-temp thermometer stuck up the tailpipe. supposedly (naturally, i have not done this ... yet), you adjust the mixture and let the engine settle for about two minutes then check the temp. if it goes up, you are getting leaner. if it goes down (more gas), you are getting richer. the thing i cannot remember is how the hell do you know when it's right.

also: there are some $120 CO testers out there. if you want the address, i can post it for you.

hope it helps. joel