Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Jul 94 23:57:23 EDT
From:         DerekDrew@aol.com
Subject:      Oettinger Fogg lamps (&motors)

As many know, Oettinger is the big aftermarket VW company that makes the big 6 cylinder motors for the Vanagon, and tons of other Vanagon related goodies.

I have a "project 2.5" in a very slow state of burn whereby I am going to band together with the other interested folks on the list to import the proper parts so we can increase the size of our motors from 2.1 litres to 2.5 with Oettinger parts. The quality, and cost, of Oettinger parts is so high it is almost silly to call Oettinger an aftermarket company. VW, when they wanted a 6 motor for Vanagon, turned to Oettinger to make the design.

Anyway, I am keeping a list of the others on this list who have written indicated to me that they want to chip in $15 toward research costs on this 2.5 project. Anyone else that wants to chip in the $15 can e mail me that they wish to do so. I anticipate this to be a 1995 project since I am quite busy now.

I have a letter here from Oettinger stating that they will sell me the parts for the 2.5 project for DM 5,950, which means about $3,500 plus shipping for the parts alone.

Anyway, my real reason for writing this time is to talk about the Oettinger fogg lamps. These fogg lamps mount in the vanagon *in the body* between the lower grill and the turn signal lenz. Yes, you cut the sheet metal away with a dremel tool and mount the lenzes (Hella) in there.

I have done this with both my 1987 van and my 1990 and these are the most beautiful fogg lamps ever seen on a Vanagon because they look totally stock. Even my dealer thought they were stock. They cannot be knocked off the bumper because they are not on the bumper. They are flush with the sheet metal of the body.

The reason I am writing is that I plan to buy some extra pieces (spares) for these fogg lamps from Oettinger and if any other list people out there want me to order the fogg lamps for them at this time I will do so. My incentive is to make one big order so we can save on shipping costs.

I think the cost of the fogg lamps comes to around $220 (in 1990) and then there is another $150 or so in duties, taxes, shipping, etc. so this is a fairly expensive game.

Ganging up to make one big order reduces the cost though. So...

It is fair warning to anyone who might want to buy these things to send me e-mail in the next week or two. After that, I will go ahead and order my spare parts from Oettinger and eat the entire mailing costs myself.

If someone wants me to help them buy the fogg lamps, I will do so at no charge. My incentive is to reduce the shipping bill by spreading it around. I have pictures of these things to show but only for those with a serious interest.

Derek Drew 90 syncro camper: derekdrew@aol.com