Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jul 94 9:52:39 PDT
From:         Steve Johnson <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      My Weekend Adventure

Well folks I had an interesting weekend story to tell. Well, I thought it was interesting/frustrating.

It all started actually on Thursday at work when I was scanning through the newspaper ads in my neighboring guys office for any interesting VW's for sale. Well, I didn't see anything that stood out from the usual selections so I went back to my office to continue working. A few minutes went by when over the wall my neighbor mentioned that there was a 1959 VW pick-up for $700. "What!?!", I said and leaped out of my office and in to his. I snatched the paper from him and looked at the section he was looking at which was under pick-ups. Sure enough, it said, "1959 VW Pick-up $700, 1961 Karmen Ghia $300." I couldn't believe my eyes. So I immediately called the number and got a female voice stating that he would be home on Saturday. So I left my number and hung up. Saturday! I've got to wait till Saturday! :O So I fretted over how some lucky SOB was gonna see it first and grab the Deal of the Century!

Between Thursday and Saturday, my wife's car decided it needed a brake job. Not being one to take chances with my wife's safety, I decided to do the brake job on Saturday. To make a long story short, I ended up not going Saturday to see the '59 Pickup. Okay, you guys can question my sanity on this but some things just don't go your way. See, I own two houses right now and I'm trying to get one fixed up for rental (yeah, I know, slum lord, Yuk, yuk, yuk). So I have these obligations and money tied up and well, you know. Not convinced, eh? Well, I'll hang my head in shame for a little while.

I did call the guy on Saturday and found out he was kind of out in the sticks outside of Marysville, CA. He still had it for sale so there was still hope. He also said it didn't have any rust. I got some instructions and crossed my fingers.

So Sunday rolls around and I'm obligated to go up to the house being fixed up and have to wait till noon for a delivery which has to be met. So I worked on some things there and at 11:30 got the delivery. We were obligated from 8:00AM - 12:00AM! URRRGH!

Well we headed out and stopped for lunch and Linda (my wife) doesn't want to go and see the VW (for shame) so I'll have to drop her off and go look at the truck. That's okay cause it's kinda on the way. So we get home and unload and get things put away. I get changed, hopped in my '91 GL and headed on out.

For most of the route, it's pretty easy. Mostly freeway and highway. After about an hour, I got to Marysville and found the Hwy 20 eastbound highway and headed out. According to my instructions I was to look for a fork in the road and take the left fork. Little did I know that in the instruction giving, he neglected to tell me that there was a right turn off of Hwy 20 that I was to take and on that road was the fork. So after some back tracking and forward tracking, I had to call him a couple times to get the scoop on what piece of info. I was missing. I finally found the turn-off which I had passed a couple of times and went down it and easily found the fork at which I took a left. I found the next indicated turn and entered a gravel road that I followed for about 3 miles. I kept my speed to about 25MPH because it was pretty bumpy and one of my front tires was lookin' a bit low on the treads. The next indicated turn was more of the same only narrower. I meandered up the side of a hill and found the blue reflectors he indicated I should look for and turned down a steep driveway which emptied out into an open driveway/ parking space. I let the engine idle so that the coolant could get circulated for a couple minutes. During this time I could see the pickup from a a few hundred feet. It looked so-so. The guy came out and I shut my '91 down.

Well, we went right to the pickup. Man it was a sight! All kinds of spray painted X's or +'s and other misc. stuff on a black background. But there was plenty of rust. Especially on the lower panels from inside out. The under carriage looked good and the interior looked good. The linkage and suspension looked like it could use a going over. The front had been a bit banged up and was missing some pieces. It did not run but probably could be made to. He turned it over, so it wasn't seized. Probably could use an overhaul though. He said it smoked alot oil so he stopped driving. The mechanic he took it to said it was overheating too. The alternator pulley and fan belt were not on it so I wondered if that was the overheating problem. Probably not. It looked okay otherwise. He said all the gauges and radio worked. Nice small window in the rear of the cab. But again lots of rust on the body. Not real deep except for the lower panels.

Now for my part, I really wanted to buy it, but I don't know how to do real restoration work. Hell, I've never done bondo work even. I think that's actually a positive for me. Anyway, I decided not to buy because I know it would cost a bundle to have it done. But I think this would be a real jewel for someone who knows how to do the correct restoration body work. I just hope someone who wants to lower it gets a hold of it. It would be a real waste.

Well, we discussed it a little and then I headed out. Not without kicking up some rocks and dust going up the steep drive and making the turn. Whew! Look at all that dust! So I headed back to Sacto. and stopped in Marysville to call my wife to let her know that she wasn't going to be out $700 and won't inherit an eye sore (her opinion).

If any of you are interested, I'll be glad to give you instructions or help in getting possession of it. Just let me know.

Cheers,

Steven -- Steven

sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com