Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Jul 94 21:57:35 -0600
From:         wself@viking.emcmt.edu (Will Self)
Subject:      ATF in the oil, postscript

Postscript to cleaning the engine by putting automatic transmission fluid in the oil...

My mechanic Jim told me that what he does when an engine is really dirty is to change the oil and filter but put in two quarts of diesel fuel instead of oil, and the rest oil. He told me that then you can't drive it, but you run it on idle for half an hour. Then you drain the oil and replace it with regular oil but with about a quart of automatic transmission fluid, again changing the filter. Then you drive it for 20 miles or so, and finally replace the oil and filter one last time, this time just oil. (But when Jim changes the oil, he puts in an additive that he swears by called KO8 -- Anybody heard of it?)

I realize that for this group all this is academic since nobody around here ever lets his/her oil get that bad.

Jim recommends an oil change every 2500 miles, whereas the owner's manual says every 7500 miles. What are some opinions about this?

Will Self Billings, MT '84 Vanagon