Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         12 Jul 1994 09:15:34 U
From:         "Norman Leong" <norman_leong@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Subject:      Re: Bike Rack for a Bus

Reply to: RE>>Bike Rack for a Bus On Tue, 12 Jul 94 09:34:07 CDT Kenneth Michael Stevens said: >I'd appreciate it. I'm wondering which kind to look for (on top, back, or >hanging from the front) and where to get one that fits the lovely form of >the bus!!!! Thanks in advance!!!

And joel responded with:

i just called two of the bike shops in town and this is what they said: shop1: only got Thule brand, roof mounts only. $300. ouch. said that front mounts might be illegal in some states (blocking headlights, etc.).

shop2: got Rhode-gear brand. recommends bike carrier that fits into trailer hitch (for either 'receiver' hitch or ball hitch). about $100. after that, would recommend roof rack: better security. also said some states wouldn't like front racks. said that rear hatch racks were not too secure (could be unbolted and run away with). said you wanted to carry only two bikes per rack (except for roof rack) ... otherwise too heavy.

A pretty neat set up I've seen amounts to what would (essentially) be a Yakima rack mounted vertically on the rear hatch (I think this application is more appropriate for a Vanagon), such that the bikes would mount vertically from the rack (forks clamped near the roof, rear wheels resting near the bumper, with the saddle extending 30-40" away from the plane of the hatch. I believe this set up requires use of the mounting clamps normally used with vehicles with aircraft-style doors because of the footpads that you want to have resting against the hatch and sheetmetal. I hope this helps. Like joel said, "Good luck"... Norman ps-I like this set up because you don't have to be an NBA center to stick the damn bikes on the rack....heck, I have enough trouble washing/waxing the roof!....