Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Jul 1994 16:12:43 -0400
From:         steve@molly.tn.cornell.edu (S.Smith)

(mostly for Matthew) Subject: fuel tank

saw your thinly disguised poke at me and my 5 speed ..... :-)

regarding Recycled Inc I have certainly had good luck with them with new parts, havent bought anything 'recycled' yet - i recall some posts on rec.autos.vw that people didnt care for the cleanliness of some of the used parts they were shipping (get a life) i still recommend them heartily, but ymmv ...

i had to drop my tank on the diesel 83 about 2 years ago - had a hole on the filler side just above the seam. patched with fiberglass from a body filler kit. Hole didnt leak but in cleaning the top of the tank with wire brush opened a bunch of new holes ..... :-(

Now i dont fill more than one-half full (which is about three weeks of fuel for me anyway ....) unless i am going on a road trip - it doesnt really leak it kind of seeps a bit. I drain the fuel filter every 3 months but never see any water in it so doesnt seem to be a problem.

I think recycled inc sells them new for $300 (maybe $400??) figure a good four hours to drop it and put new one in. They have recycled and remanufactures ones too for less.

I would put a nice shiny new one in mine but cornell doesnt pay me a living wage on account of all the convexen they buy - hee hee hee