Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Jul 94 00:23:49 ADT
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: Bike Rack for a Bus

>On Tue, 12 Jul 94 14:51:20 CDT Ari Ollikainen said: >>I saw a receiver equipped hitch on a ~89 Vanagon in a parking lot that >>looked like it was bolted to the tow-eyes of the rear bumper attachment. >>Anyone have more clues on locating this particular hitch? > Saw one of these around, looked clean and simple, ie. under an hour fabrication for a small one man welding shop, you take it home and paint it up. I'll leave a note on the Westies window, seems to be a regular at a hotel nearby, try to get a company name. Two bolts removed the bar/hitch completely, nice that way, maybe light duty only, legality?

I took a careful look at the VW installed hitch I have, Don Valley VW in Toronto. Could someone please look at their normal bumper mounts and see if a square cross tube (2" x 2") is used, from bracket to bracket, bridging the space between the towing eyes. If so then it appears my trailer hitch is simply a tongue with ball welded/bolted ? to this cross bar. I don't want to drop my bumper just to check this out. My towing eyes appear stock, maybe there is something really simple here! Again, a visit to Lou's Welding and Taco Stand may be a good option, drive up with the rear bumper removed, and tell'em what you need. tjs