Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Jul 94 11:20:45 PDT
From:         David.Kao@eng.sun.com (David Kao)
Subject:      Re: Vanagon choking when feeding gas

Joel, thanks for so much detailed info regarding the problem. I looked at my Bently manual last night at the fuel supply section. I tehn realized that it has a very complicated setup for being a California vanagon.

The vent tube actually does not go into the gas tank. Instead it goes to a fuel expansion tank (one on each side of the gas tank, behind front wheels). There are at least 4 small tubes connected to each expansion tanks. I think the purpose of the expansion tanks is to allow air/fuel vapor to escape, when filling gas tank, into them. From there the air/fuel vapor can be sucked through a charcoal filter into engine intake. Thus no toxic vapor is escaped into the air.

However, When filling tank from nearly empty to nearly full, there is a lot of air/vapor to be expelled out of the gas tank. The two expansion tanks have a volume of about 2 gallons? I can not imagine how it would not choke, especialy filling quickly. I have not allowed any full service gas station people to fill gas for me since the first time it was "served". The poor guy started filling and walked away. At the moment he stepped his first step away the gas spilled all over and scared the guy to death. He yelled at me asking if the tank was full. Well, shouldn't have tried to earn extra money in the name of full service and actually trying to attend other customers at the same time.

Anyway, I'll check the vent tube the first thing next weekend. It do make sense if it is plugged up. Again, I still have the question, does anyone have any difficulty like me to fill up gas tank? Mine is a 84 Vanagon, a California breed. Thanks for the feedbacks.

David