Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jul 1994 13:12:12 -0400
From:         steve@molly.tn.cornell.edu (S.Smith)
Subject:      Re: ATF in the oil, postscript

my words on this thread

i have a different schedule for my cars depending on pattern of usage. I believe the the frequency/brand oil is much less impt than your driving habits in determining bottom end life of an engine.

1990 Audi 80 driven 400 miles/week on highway change oil and filter every 5000 miles or as climate requires (upstate NY varies between 100F and -25F in a bad year ....)

1983 Quantum driven 10,000 miles annually - two oil changes a year as required by seasons

1983 diesel Vanagon - about 10,000 miles annually - two oil changes and one filter change every year - this one is really unhappy with 20W-590 oops read 20W-50) at 0 F.

I used to change the Quantum's oil every 2.5K - I bought this at 60K and at 120K it needed a ring job in the worst way - which i blame ont he previous owner without shame.

None of the above use any oil in the 5000 mile intervals - i even had the oil analysed once by a bud in the fleet business and 2.5K oil and 5K oil spec'd out identically.

do what makes you happy imho

use castrol and OEM filters exclusively btw