Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jul 1994 08:19:55 -0400
From:         steve@molly.tn.cornell.edu (S.Smith)
Subject:      on cost benefit

(regarding post on CVs repacking vs replacing)

If you are going to do a full blown cost analysis, then it never pays go to the dealer unless you make (in my area) $45*(tax rate) does it?

Of course if you cant do the operationin question it may become worth it - my experience has been that people really undersell themselves on what they can and cant do - quick cure for this is to sit in the dealer (esp VW) and listen to the knuckles scraping on the ground as the mechanics 'walk' by.

With a good source of tech info (bentley) and a good source of practical info (this list for example) most anything is covered.

I run a fully-depreciated third car so that I can deal with any problems between the two daily drivers with an hour after dinner, taking as money (sorry, many) days as it takes to get the job done.

Costs me about $300 extra on insurance (thanks upstate NY) which I usually recover in about 2 or 3 months of NOT mechanics bills.