Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jul 94 18:18:15 PDT
From:         David.Kao@eng.sun.com (David Kao)
Subject:      Re: Re:Vanagon Temp Guage

----- Begin Included Message -----

On Thu, 14 Jul 94 17:28:33 CDT David Kao said: >Anyway, I decided to replace the thermostat. ... >But, wait, the temp gauge needle went all the way up and passed the LED ... >I took the new thermostate back to the VW dealer. They were kinda suspecicious >about my ability to deal with such repair but gave me another one anyway. I >put it on and tried it again. Same thing! ... >I went to another dealer to buy another one. ...

hmmmmm. when you moved the 'whole thing' over to the 84, did you move the coolant temp sensors as well (oh, god! is he gonna start THAT again!?). the reason i ask is that my gauge went wacko, and for some reason, i suspected the gauge sender, not the engine. so i replaced it ... surprise! the gauge works again. now, this is NOT the coolant temp sensor for the computer. there should be TWO senders on the thermostat housing: one for the gauge and one for the computer.

my train of thought here is that maybe the gauge sender was bad all along. and the initial dealer just 'fixed' the thermostat to make the gauge 'look' normal.

just a thought. joel

----- End Included Message -----

Good question Joel. I did test the temperature sensor, the one for the temp gauge. I rulled it out as the source of the problem. When I took the whole thermostat housing from 84 to the troubled 83, I swapped the sensor so that the gauge will read temp from the same sender.

I have to start THAT again someday. Right now the westfalia is sitting on my drive way getting sun burn. I was told that the frig has not been ignited even once. The oven was used probably 4 or 5 times to cook coffee. The upper bed has never been slept. the lower bed has been less than 5 times. The propane tank was filled once only. The water tank was filled once. The ..... once...

I let it rest in peace for now. After two gallons of the autobaun stuff coolant spent, I kinda want to take a break.

David