Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jul 1994 23:56:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:         dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu (Sami Dakhlia)
Subject:      oil

I'm surprised that throughout the oil and oil change discussion, no one has mentioned Castrol Syntec 5W-50 or other synthetic oils. That's what I have been using for about a year now, thinking other air-cooled car owners would too. "My" mechanic, i.e., the guy who does the yearly state inspection, recommended it highly. It's significantly more expensive than conventional oils, but it's probably worth it. The van starts real easy --even on the coldest days in MO. It also seems to behave rather well under extreme heat conditions: the oil pressure gauge showed 20-25 psi as I drove in 108F heat through Arizona last month. Compare that with 15-20 psi last summer with temperatures in the upper 90s.

If someone thinks that I'm nevertheless wasting my money, I'd like to hear it. BTW, oil change every 3000 mi, because Muir says so. I also use WIX oil filters (nothing but the best for my old friend). Also heard that VW filters come with a special warranty: VW pays for damage to the engine if it is caused by a faulty oil filter. --

Sami '75 Westfalia

*--------------------------------------------------------------------------* | Sami Dakhlia | | Department of Economics, Campus Box 1208 Fax: (314) 935-4156 | | Washington University | | One Brookings Drive | | St. Louis, Missouri 63130-4899 dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu| *--------------------------------------------------------------------------*