Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jul 94 23:46:13 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Eurovan/Winnebago - just

On Thu, 14 Jul 94 23:14:19 CDT <j.tabaco@genie.geis.com> said: >joel...The story I got from the dealer is that VW would be paying less >tariff on the truck model than on the finish camper so it was more

very true. a completed 'truck' coming in from japan or germany has a 25 (twenty-five) percent tax added on!! toyota and the rest get by because they (like vw now) ship uncompleted trucks over, and the fenders and beds are installed at the distributor/port. that's why vw stopped importing the bus-pickup trucks: they couldn't ship incomplete models (being uni-body like the buses, there aren't any fenders or bed to take off or put on).

>them for the camper stuff. BTW, there isn't one dealer in the NYC metro area >that's an authorized EuroVan Camper retailer.

i guess they figure that the camper won't fit into the parking garages for the downtown apartments. or that downtowners don't buy campers.

>that "Beginning in Summer 1995, the 1996 EuroVan will come only with VW's >VR6 engine." I think I'll wait for that before I get a new van. Also all the >safety stuff will be std by then...Joey

uhhhhhh ... i've seen some magazine or other that now says the VR6 won't be coming over here. :( but it's a good excuse to wait. ;) i've seen one picture of a VR6 Eurovan ... only external sign was a bmw type hood (with a middle section slightly higher than the side sections). if they are gonna bring it over, they'd better hurry up and get it here before football season! they might be able to sell a bunch for football commuting. :) but the prices nowadays! ouch. but all of them are like that.

joel