Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jul 94 11:00:15 CDT
From:         jwk1@cec.wustl.edu (John William Kuthe)
Subject:      Re: Bus Boys

[Phil Geller writes:] > I tried ordering a catalog from these guys about a year ago. > I never heard from them. Has anyone else had good/bad experiences > with the Bus Boys?

Yes! I had a real bad experience with the BBoys about a year and 1/2 ago.

I don't remember the exact details, but it was when I ordered a set of rebuilt kingpins and new linkpins, then some new front end trailing arm seals from them. I sent them a money order for the king and link pins, but didn't hear anything for about a month, so I started calling them. They told me at first that they never received my order, so I went to the bank where I purchased the M.O. to get a stop payment put on it.. When the bank looked up the M.O. in question, they showed it had been cashed by the BBoys! So I called them back with all the pertinent info (date the M.O. had been cashed, etc.) and asked them what was up with my order! After some lengthy periods on the phone with a guy there, he finally found my order. It had gotten lost, or some such shit. So they processed it and I got my parts, but after a total delay of about 2 months and way too many long distance phone charges on my part.

Then, in the process of putting my front end together, I decided I needed new trailing arm seals. So I called up the BBoys to inquire about their availability. After way too long on the phone with some bozo, we finally agreed on what part I needed (I knew, but getting him to realize what I was talking about was like pulling teeth!) So it turns out that they used to have a mold for repro-ing these parts, since new ones aren't available, but there mold had been stolen and they didn't have any repros left, but the guy said he had some 'good used' ones he could sell me. I didn't opt for these at the time, but after cleaning up my old ones, I called back to find out how 'good' versus how 'used' the one's the BBoys had were. He tells me this time that, hey, good news, they *do* have some new ones! Great, I say, and I order them. When they got to me a few weeks later, guess what I got? Rear end swing axle plate grommets! Boy, was I pissed! Needless to say, I sent them back immediately.

But that's not all! There were significant delays in my getting my core refund for my old parts too.

I have heard that the BBoys have recently (since my experiences) come under new ownership, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the crap I endured with them. The thing that disappointed me the most was not only are they about the only place dealing in old bus parts anymore, but these are supposedly people who love pre-67 busses, right? I just figured that such people would be of a higher caliber than your average idiots, y'know?

Peace,

-- John Kuthe, aka jwk1@cec.wustl.edu, St. Louis, MO.

First Job of Government: Protect people from govermment. Second Job of Government: Protect people from each other

It must *never* be the job of government to protect people from themselves.

#insert <stddisclaimer.h> (stolen without permission from someone)