Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jul 94 15:51:34 PDT
From:         ui775@freenet.victoria.bc.ca (Alistair Bell)
Subject:      back on line

Jeepers, the mail system on Victoria freenet has been down for a week. Its pretty frustrating reading the incoming mail and not being able to butt in. Kinda like keeping your mouth shut in a company meeting.

Anyway, let me add my bit...

carb synching.

Make sure that all of the hoses assoc. with fuel/air system are good. Check central idle air and fuel adjustment screws to see if they really work. Sometimes the central idle system fuel shut-off solenoid sounds like its working but isn't. Any play in throttle shaft? Points and timing ok?

I have spent/wasted lots of time snynching my 72's carbs. Finally got old Werner, the aircoolled guru, to do them right. He had no CO meter (by the way, somebody out there must know how to take the mV signal from an oxy sensor and use in place of a CO meter), but he got the beast running smoothly.

Oil

For some reason I have 10W-40 in my jetta powered van. I don't like it and am changing to Mobil-1 this weekend. Reason? the new engine runs hotter than the old diesel, (I have to get an alternator cooling duct/shroud from a late model Audi to keep it cooler), and I notice a definite loss of pressure when the needle creeps past the LED in hot idle situations. I theorize viscosity breakdown. BTW, the previous owner had put in a switch to turn on the rad fan, I used only on slow steep hills last summer with the diesel. I rewired to the stock situation and the fan does come on now when the needle is halfway between the LED and the far right. It is important that there is NO air in the cooling system as the thermo switches are at the top of the rad - in "air" if not bled!

My van is Alpin Weiss (these German names for colours both attract and repel me - maybe reflective of the ambigious relationship my ancestors had with the Hun!).

Joel, the colour code is L90, for your dbase!

Phew!

Have a great weekend,

Alistair