Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jul 94 09:42:25 PDT
From:         STAFFORD@zenith.dnet.hac.com
Subject:      RE: Lifespan of a master cylinder?

On Mon, 18 Jul 94 David Schwarze <schwarze@io.nosc.mil> wrote: >Subject: Re: Lifespan of a master cylinder?

>>STAFFORD@zenith.dnet.hac.com writes: >> And now for something completely different... >> Maximum speed on flat ground? 95mph on I-10 East in Calif.

>Wow! My top speed of 90 was on a *steep* downhill of I-15, and only for >an instant. At that rpm the motor sounded like it was about to fly >apart. My top speed on level ground is about 78 mph. How did you get >going that fast?? You must be running nitrous and using 275-80-14 tires!! >Or maybe you have teensy weensy little front wheels? :) :) > >-David

The motor did rev very high and I'll probably never do it again. I'm running a stock 1700 w/dual carbs and a new 4-speed tranny. Also, stock 14" rims with Michelin 185SR14 radials. The needle on the speedo was pointing at the 'H' (as in MPH) when I backed off the throttle.

On Mon, 18 Jul 94 Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu> wrote: >Subject: Re: Lifespan of a master cylinder?

>>STAFFORD@zenith.dnet.hac.com writes: >>It's International Orange; the same color they paint utility vehicles >>and garbage dumpsters.

>... >on a more congenial note, that is actually NOT a bad color to have a car >painted. one, you can ALWAYS find it in the mall parking lot. two, very >few people will park next to you. three, other cars can see you very well >on the highway, in all sorts of weather.

That's why school busses are orange and black, very high visibility.

>my sister had a volvo station wagon in that color (factory paint, no less!) >and, while not being the most attractive shade, it was very practical and >useful. i would recommend one small change/addition: paint the roof white. >this seems to make it even more noticeable (while reducing the heat intake >of the bus).

Mostly stock, the Fiberglass pop-top is sort of a white color, as are the bumpers. I painted the rims and hubcaps black, just like the cops'.

Jack stafford@zenith.dnet.hac.com