Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jul 1994 16:22:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:         "Dr. D.W. Carment" <carment@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca>
Subject:      cooling air cooled vanagon's

I have been following this discussion list for the past month or so and have noticed that a dominant topic is choice of oil and keeping engines running at the proper temperature. Recently I mounted a second (EMPI) oil cooler on the side of my 82 Westfalia. This amounted to an increase in 10-20 psi or 35-40psi at 60 mph (especially noticeable after long hauls through the mountains). One possibility for this increase is the additional half litre of oil that is added to the system (any ideas on this-there seems to be some debate whether too little or too much oil is beneficial for pressure)? The other possibility is that the engines for these models (which had a life span of only three and half years-before VW switched to water cooled) were/are severely overstressed for the incredibly small OEM cooler. In the case of my van, loose main bearings and a faulty oil pump have been ruled out, so insufficient cooling/plus the additional weight of the Westafalia package seem likley choices for the engine running hot (by the way head temp never exceeds 250f - idles 200- speed).

At any rate I have moved the cooler from the side in order to have the van "safetied" for an Ontario licence (the van was bought in CAL) to above the transmission. This also keeps it away from fingers and trees. The only problem with this set up is that there is insufficient air in there and because the transmission gets hot it heats the fins of the cooler. So hitting the junk yards I managed to piece together a Subaru fan motor (extremely flat and excellent power) with a fan from a Renault 5. This was the only combination of fan and motor that would fit under there. With a switch mounted to the dash, I can now control oil temp (with a view to buying an oil thermostatic switch that comes on at 180f). This reults in increase oil pressure and power (overheating leads to loss of power).

If any one wants info on how to go about this procedure contact me. In the meantime, I am curious if anyone else has had any oil pressure/temp problems with the air cooled vanagons or if you have any ideas on what may be the original problem. Extra coolers seem to be rare on these vans (unlike busses). Regards - DC