Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jul 1994 23:21:12 -0800
From:         rickgo@halcyon.halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      brake lights, propane and auxiliary batteries

Lots of stuff from my weekend exploration into the mysteries of my new 1980 Vanagon.

master cylinder life - after pricing one of these I've decided I'll let the one that's in there live out it's full life span. $300 from VW dealer. (Well, I'll see what Midas or someone sells them for first before making up my mind.)

I did replace the wheel cylinders though. The old ones were pretty crusty and were starting to show leakage past the seals.

brake light switches - hadn't thought of the clutch being involved. Hydraulic clutch eh? Well, I don't see fluid level dropping so I hope that's not the problem. I want to go and rerun my test now - I did notice that the 2nd switch took quite a bit of pressure (i.e. foot as opposed to my hand during test) to flip on. As for replacing these things, how much fluid leaks out? How did you even get to that switch closest to the dash without taking out the unit? I don't think I want to be under a stream of brake fluid trying to screw in the switch that will stop it!

And now a new subject: propane refrigerators and furnaces. This one has them both. The fridge is a Dometic, furnace a Coleman. Previous owner claimed that the fridge would usually light, but she sometimes had to crawl under it and light it. Back under the flap that comes down when you push in the igniter knob. In my case, the igniter clicks, but I don't see any spark visible in the "flame viewer port" mentioned in the manual, nor does it light. I tried putting a butane stick down there but it doesn't light that way either. Kind of a high-pitched whoosh. So I backed off. It is getting gas at least. Any tricks to this? How about tricks to removing these units?

The propane furnace is a Coleman. Previous owner says she never even tried to get it to work - only camped it in the summer. Yeah right. Anyway, the pilot light works fine, thermostat I'm not sure about, but when I short it the pilot light gets blown out. Not a good sign. Clues on this are welcome too.

And finally - about 3 years ago some garage rewired the alternator and auxiliary battery to meet current VW specs. This is great, as apparently the old wiring caused a drain (according to the mechanic's note anyway.) But, I haven't been able to find where they stuck the relay that controls the charge to the aux battery. It's not over the fuse box, and the wires from the batteries disappear into the floor boards. Does anyone know where this relay is in the Westfalias?

I may yet get out in this thing this summer...

Rick