Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jul 1994 09:46:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:         John Grunkemeier <grunke@u.washington.edu>
Subject:      axle nut

I think it is 46mm not 36mm. I bought a special tool called an axle nut wacker to remove this nut. You can buy one for about $10 at your local aftermarket VW store. The tool is made of cast iron and it slips around the axle nut( actually it was such a tight fit I had to use a hammer to get it on). Then you attach your 1/2" breaker bar to the tool and have your friend stand on the end of the breaker bar. Meanwhile just hit the tool with a hammer a few times and viola off comes the nut! I guess the combination of constant force applied to the tool with the breaker bar and the transient force of the hammer blows get the nut off. If you just use a socket and a 1/2" breaker bar there is a good chance you will break the breaker bar before you get the nut off (I did). I've heard 3/4" breaker bars work well but they are expensive.

Good Luck

John '69 Camper

-- John Grunkemeier (grunke@u.washington.edu) Mailstop BF-10 (206) 522-3557 (home) University of Washington (206) 685-2440 (work) Seattle, WA 98195 USA