Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         20 Jul 1994 11:56:58 U
From:         "McGinnis Terry" <McGinnis_Terry@mm.rdd.lmsc.lockheed.com>
Subject:      RE: Brake Drum Removing

----- Begin Included Message -----

I determined that loosening satr wheels was not necessary to pull the drum off. A gear puller can have 2 up to 6 legs. A puller with 5 legs would be great but mine has only 3. Screw wheel lug nuts back into the drum but not all the way to the bottom. Position the puller with the center long screw against the axle while have the hooks of all legs pulling the lug nuts. Now slowly turn the center screw of the puller. You will see the legs in action of pulling the drum off.

----- End Included Message -----

One note of warning, Many years ago, on my '65 Bus (Dixie, now demised), the rough winters in Connecticut had rusted my star wheels into place, and the drums were worn with ridges on the inside lips. Lacking any other way to remove the hubs, I resorted to a puller which slowly, but surely bent and mangled everything on and attached to the brake shoes. Luckily, I was replacing the tranny with a complete assembly, so I didn't really care about anything inside there except the end of the emergency brake cable. The moral of this story is, be very careful if using a puller without loosening the star adjuster, as you may end up replacing more than just the shoes.

Terry McGinnis - '65 stock bus, Dixie demised by lightpost - '75 Westy, self destructed by fuel injection - Currently in market for pre-68