Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jul 1994 15:18:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:         "Dr. D.W. Carment" <carment@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca>
Subject:      Re: Canadian Westy = DOT/EPA OK?

Paul, my experience has been in going the other way, bringing a California model into Canada, which came in without a hitch (it was an 82 Westfalia). On the other hand BC pollution laws are not as stringent as say California's (or wherever you live) so this will be the main sticking point (check for CAT, O2sensor and EGR valve). The other issue is duty, I believe you will pay higher duty (possibly 9% since the vehicle is neither US or Canadian made (free trade lives!) but you should pass the bumper laws because Canada has more stringent laws on that one (an NTB?). The vehicle will also be in good shape no slat in BC but-make sure it has been safetied before purchase; this will ensure that you aren't caught doing any major mechanical work yourself. Regards - DC