Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jul 94 15:58:48 PDT
From:         macklow@sybase.com (Jim Macklow)
Subject:      Re: misc. ramblings about locations

> > As for THE TRIP, I don't see how a decent, self-respecting VW caravan > could neglect to pass through Montana. >

If the trip does happen to pass through Montana, make sure that it hits Butte on St. Patrick's Day. My wife and I passed through there on the way to South Dakota, and let me tell you, it was not what I expected.

We left Pullman, WA, early in the morning. After driving many hours through the Rocky Mountains, we begin our descent into Butte. I expected to find a sleepy burg, beaten down by the depressed economy. It's 1pm, driving through town, and I'm looking for a gas station to fill the Diesel Jetta. I notice that the streets are empty, until we hit the "downtown" area. Where I find:

Thousands of cowboys and cowgirls, with green clothes, green hair, green facepaint. Hopped-up 4x4's cruising the streets, screaming, yelling and singing...

Drunken revelers, spilling out of the bars. There's no age limit in Butte on this day, for sure! Adults and kids alike, chugging down cold ones and rushing to the next bar. Not a sad look on anyone's face. The beer must have been free.

I pass through the party, becoming concerned because the needle has now dropped below the orange. A few blocks later, a gas station appears. As I went in to pay, the first thing the lady behind the counter asked me was: "Are you crazy or sane?"

I said I was from out of town.

-Jim