Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jul 94 19:26:48 -0400
From:         Randy <thewoz!wort!randy@netcom.com>
Subject:      "Muir solenoid trick" -- okay now what?

Well I finally figured out how to wire in the Bosch fog light relay to give my starter that little extra boost ('76 bus FI). Indeed, when I turn the key now it really turns over, much faster than it did before. If anyone's interested in the particulars, let me know and I'll give a full description.

However, now the starter gaily turns over but the engine doesn't always start. If it's been sitting for more than a day or so it won't start. If it sits for about 12 hours it starts but only after about 20-30 seconds of turning over. If it's only been sitting for an hour or so, it starts right up.

I can still use the run a wire from your solenoid right to the battery trick and it starts right up every time with that. Bizarre!

As the bus is FI, I read somewhere that the FI system needs a minimum voltage (9.5 volts?) in order to start. What I'm thinking is that the relay causes more drain on the battery than before which doesn't allow enough voltage to get to the FI system. Does that make any sense at all? The battery is kind of old, my next guess is to replace it. The weird thing is that connecting a wire directly from the solenoid to the battery is very similar to what the relay does, yet that works like a charm.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I think I'm stumped on this one.

-Randy