Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jul 94 22:19:34 EDT
From:         Kenneth Michael Stevens <kms4v@fulton.seas.virginia.edu>
Subject:      Camper conversion

Earlier I wrote:

1. People have been talking about converting buses to campers. How/where do I get started??

I must add that I do already have a gypsy tent that goes on the sliding door. I am most interested in the interior, although wolove to add a pop top if someone can give an easy way to do it.

> Did a '78 over, but I cheated and used real VW Westy guts from a junkyard.

Great idea!!!! I didn't even think of that!!!! Now to find one in good shape!!!

>From the following, it seems as thougit might be quite difficult to add the pop top :

> The real Westys used to have a double skin roof to beef up the ceiling > cutout, busses don't, so fixing up beds etc. into the pop-top is a bit hard. > The newer double bed models have a huge cutout, but I don't know about roof > structure of them, anyone else help here?. It's dead easy to get the > interior done over, in a weekend or two including the woodpanelling if you > salvaged it. The roof is a different matter, woodpanelling requires the > galvanized steel support channels be also salvaged from the junker. Any more > roof work is scary, you'll at least have to cut a huge hole, bend some edges > up, and mount the pop-top, (more drilling/screws). or....

Anybody else have an easier way or am I stuck??

> Get a sunroof bus, buy two BIG luggage racks for front and rear, some > plywood, and find a tent to cover the entire lot, attached to the rain gutters? Maybe an air supported dome (Astrodome?!?!?). :) Maybe Ringling Bros. has some extras!!!!!

Thanks for your help Tim!!!o

Ken '79 bus and no .sig file yet.

P.S. - I think thaa small carvan of bricks on the road wouldrow in number sheerly by other busses seeing us go by and wondering what the hell is going on!!!!y