Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jul 94 7:47:12 PDT
From:         Steve Johnson <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: da trip

> On Thu, 21 Jul 1994, S.Smith wrote: > > "create a mini news group for coordinating meeting, repair plans > > while we are on the road (a couple of laptops to stay in the > > info superhighway)" - with global tracking no less! > > > > "a sick-bus detail, maybe we can chip in for a stash of spares to > > follow us around" - assuming all of our busses require some repair > however modest, we should be using this list for these problems. NOW > is the time to start, why not state your needs and problems on this list, > that is why we subscribe isn't it?

I agree with the good Dr., I wouldn't mind pooling, but I think the people going on the trip should be pretty well acquainted with what goes wrong (what could go wrong) with their own Type II and should bring along the necessary/anticipated parts/tools to replace them. I always bring along tools and spare belts etc. whenever I'm on a long trip knowing full well that it will save me from potential hassle and mucho buck spending if I didn't have it with me.

Here's a list of things that would be useful to bring along:

Jumper Cables - Don't leave home without em'. Sockett Set - Misc. bolt tightening. Wrench set - Misc. bolt tightening. pliers and crecent wrench - Various tighting/bending jobs. Screwdrives flat & phillips & allen - tighting misc. screws. Duct Tape - Broken radiator hose. electrical tape - Ad hoc wire fixing. wheel bearing grease - Various wheel maintenance brake fluid - Low brake fluid. matches/lighter - If its cold and you need a light. toilet paper - Need you ask? spare auto wire - For testing or replacement. Wire cutters/strippers for wire. Rope - Emergency pulling, holding up things etc. walking shoes - It could be a long walk. hat - Keeps the rain or sun off when your walking. Jacket - It gets cold sometimes. Spare belts - You won't have to wait for the garage to order them. (sometimes it takes days) Good Spare tire (fully inflated) - Nothin' like a useless spare to ruin your day Make sure your jack works. Grease it. - Changing a tire is hard enough already. Change your oil, oil filter and fuel filter - Start out right. Carry 4 quarts extra oil. - In case you lose your oil for any reason. Have a tune-up done or do it yourself. - Good way to catch any problems. align and balance the tires. - So you don't rattle your nerves. ;) Have the headlights aimed (With the car loaded) - Mis-aimed lights are annoying flashlight + spare batteries - You don't want to be in the dark. A second flashlight. - In case the first don't work. Sleeping bag. - It gets mighty cold at night. Gallon Jug of drinking water - You could get thirsty or worse dehydrated. First Aid Kit - Always bailing wire - To hold things together. lug wrench - To remove wheels. 3' of pipe to put over lug wrench to loosen stubborn bolts. food: granola bars and such. - You always get hungry when your stuck somewhere Liquid Wrench - For those tough bolts. WD-40 - Gets the grease off. Spare fuses - Always have them. Spare bulbs - Various ones for all the lights in your car. Spare cash - Some people don't take credit cards or checks. Waterless hand soap - To get the grease off your hands. Book to read - To pass the time while you're waiting for the tow truck. (or waiting for someone else to go get a tow truck) Or you could read the manual for your car and find out the things you should have been doing for it. Battery Terminal cleaner thingy - You know, the one with the wires in the doo-hickey. Paper towels - There nice for cleaning up. Small tarp - To put on the ground so you don't get too dirty. Grubby cloths - To get dirty in. Rags - To wipe off things on the car. Gloves - For things to hot to handle. Also for heavy duty stuff. Bottle of Anti-freeze - If the radiator loses some, you'll need to top it off.

Again, parts that you anticipate failing should be brought along also. If you plan on bringing a spare engine and trans, maybe you should replace it now. ;)

I also think a couple of cellular phones in the group wouldn't hurt either.

-- Steven

sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com