Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jul 1994 13:59:41 -0230
From:         thoekman@leif.ucs.mun.ca
Subject:      Great North-American Bus Trip

All this carrying on about the Great Bus Tour is very intriguing, and depending on when and if the event happens I may be able to join the caravan for a while. However I'm about to start my own trans-continental bus-tour, I will be leaving St. John's, Newfoundland CANADA (Now that's East, only Ireland is East of us), heading for my sabbatical year in Victoria, BC. I will be hitting the trail between Aug. 5 and 8. My route is roughly as follows: St. John's to Port Aux Basques, NF, Gulf Ferry to North Sydney, N.S., Transcanada across NS, and New Brunswick, through Houlton, Maine, and down I95 to Framingham, Mass. At this point take a breather at my Sis and Co., and then turn West, taking the Mass Turnpike, connecting with the NY Thruway and heading to Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Here I cross back into Canada and angle down through Ontario to Sarnia to cross back into Michigan, where I will probably make a pit-stop at Recycled Bugs aka Part Place Inc. They have some very good prices on rebuilt axle/CV joints and I'm about due. Then over to Holland, Mich. and visit some more family and the old Alma Mater at Hope College; from there down I94 to Chicago and pick up I80 and west across Illinois and Iowa, up to the NW corner for a few days of home-cooking with my mom and dad and the great annual Hoekman Family reunion (Aug 13). From there head west on I90 across South Dakota to the Badlands and Black Hills, across Wyoming, turning north through Sheridan and up through Billings, angling across the state heading for Glacier Park and the Canadian border. Haven't decided yet whether to jump up high and take the transcanada, go low in canada, or stay below the border for a while after Glacier Park before turning North. Sometime around Aug. 20-25 I plan to arrive at a ferry to get to the West Canadian Island (Vancouver Is.). My youngest son will be arriving there about the same time by train; he is touring with the Canadian National Youth Orchestra and we hope to get a few days together with his brother and sister in Vancouver before he flys back to NF to return to University.

Anyway as some of you guys know my bus is a 1982 Westy, formerly a diesel, now powered by a Jetta GLI, CIS-E gas-burner. This will be my first major trip with the new engine, and I am looking forward to a fun time. I'm going to have to avoid dawdling to keep on my timetable to BC, but I'd love to make contact with anybody on the bee-line who has such inclination.

Ted Hoekman Faculty of Medicine Memorial University of Newfoundland St. John's, NF. Canada