Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Aug 94 19:14:15 EDT
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: Heating the van (was misc.)

Sorry for the interruption....anyway the other option is to install prior to the outlet for the passengers which would provide heat for them but also detract from the fan's defrosting qualities. You can also augment this blower fan with an oscillating fan that sits on the dash - this throws heat backward from the vents and serves to cool in the summer. (All this would be redundant if VW had designed the stock fan to blow both hot and cold air).

BTW the fan is good but not fantastic and I think the reason for this is the really akward design of the distributor box - very little heat seems to find its way to the side vents unless you have the fan on full blast and/or travel at sixty...Blocking of the intake vent helps (as does making sure the surrounding area is covered-see the FAQ).

An alternative is to get a second oil cooler which acts much like a heater matrix on water cooled cars. The heat is vented inside during the winter and outside in the summer. JCW has these as well. A big difference in the quantity and quality of heat in this case is having the heater flaps connected to the thermostat because this also effects the temp of the main oil cooler. IMHO.

I have also heard talk of water-cooled heaterboxes that replace the OEM heater boxes...

You could also consider painting your van black as this would absorb heat.....

On an unrelated topic. I also have in my possession (courtesy of JCW) two items designed to boost oil pressure: a) an annular pressure valve piston with extra strong spring (claimed 15% drop in oil temps) and b) a dial-in pressure adjuster that fits below the pressure valve piston. Any ideas or opinions on these would be appreciated before I install them at the next oil change. DC

---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-9882 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------