Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Aug 94 20:59:45 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: 139297.4 miles -> BOOM!

On Mon, 15 Aug 94 19:46:06 CDT <huie@cpd.tandem.com> said: >engine. Loss in oil pressure, clanking sound from the right side >(possibly a collapsed hydraulic lifter under the valve cover?) ... >Or, possibly the engine sucked a valve or thrown a pushrod. They all sound >the same, to me. No black smoke, just a terrible clanking sound from the >right side.

having had both, trust me: they are NOT the same sound! :( the sucked-valve is stomach-deep-gut-sickening, conjuring horrible images in the bowels of your mind. really bad. there is NOT a shred of doubt in your mind that the engine has been deeply and fatally injured.

the lifter, on the other hand, is more like: shit, i think i broke something.

if it was still driveable, it's probably a lifter. maybe. if the gods are smiling on you this week.

>It sounds like a rebuilt engine will cost me around $3000, including >installation. Is this reasonable? The body and interior of the car

$3K??? that sounds way high to me. a whole rebuilt engine shouldn't be more than, what, about $1500? plus labor an stuff, maybe $2000 at the most. now, if you mean THEM rebuilding the engine in their shop, yeah. what with the additional labor of them doing the rebuilt work, it could climb up to $3K. but it still seems high to me. imho.

>is still in great shape. Has anyone else had this experience with >their Vanagon? If it is only a collapsed lifter, then the cost will >be more in the $200-$400 range.

well ... IF it is the lifter, then you'd might as well do a bunch of long-term preventative maintenance while you're doing it: replace ALL the lifters and pushrods (the one is likely bent or badly scratched). and do the pushrod tube seals (cause you are gonna have to take them out anyway). and stuff like that. so the $200-400 might climb a bit to over $500. but the engine would last you longer. hopefully.

remember, however: i r not a mechanic. i r a bus-driver. and my lunched valve was a long time ago: $800 to rebuild (a lonnnnnng time ago). and on a beetle engine. the lifter was on an 80 vanagon. i think the total was about $200 back then.

joel