Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Aug 94 9:22:13 PDT
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@io.nosc.mil>
Subject:      Re: Vangon Fan Housing

Dr. D.W. Carment writes: > > Has anyone out there had any experience in removing an air cooled Vanagon > fan housing > with the engine in the vehicle? I have had experience installing the > engine and all its components so am relatively familiar with the > attachment points and labour involved. My concern is not having to drop the > engine to remove/examine the oil cooler. Presumeably the fan housing must > also be removed to get at the cooler.

I have no experience with Vanagons, but for my '73, the fan housing must be removed to get at the oil cooler. Fortunately it is a simple matter to get the fan housing off without removing the engine.

> The engine has an aux oil cooler with > electric fan but oil pressure will not exceed 30 psi at speed when hot > (air temp 78 F). This was > even lower without the aux cooler. The pump and main bearings check out ok > (75 psi at startup) ...

Be careful about that last statement - just because you have 75 psi at startup doesn't mean that your main bearings are okay, or even that the pump is okay. When the oil is cold and thick, it can take up the extra space left between out-of-tolerance parts and give the illusion that there is nothing wrong.

...so I am left with the possibility that the oil cooler is > blocked.- do they "wear out" like radiators?...

Never seen one wear out. They can become blocked, though. Any competent machine shop should be able to test it to see if it is blocked. If it is, don't clean and re-use it, *replace* it. I have been told by many VW mechanics that it is a bad idea to re-use a problem oil cooler.

The filter is mounted on a > remote adapter so this may also create some problems. JCW says that > special oil bypass valves are necessary when using remotely located > filters....why?

I don't know the answer to that one, but why are you using the remote adapter? Oh, I guess it must be where your auxiliary oil cooler is tapped in, huh?

> PS I am thinking of installing a grooved oil bypass relief valve and an > oil pressure adjuster to boost pressure if the oil cooler is not the > problem- any ideas/experience?

Are you sure it will boost pressure? The relief valves are only there to vent excess pressure, if I am not mistaken. I don't see how fiddling with the relief valve could add pressure. Hmmm... I think you would be better off going after the source of the problem, which in my mind *must* be one of two things:

1. Insufficient pressure being generated due to inadequate pump or worn bearings.

2. Oil is overheating.

I believe #2 is by far the most likely. I wish I knew more about the Vanagon engine so I could help diagnose the problem. I wonder if your engine has the same trouble-prone thermostat/air-flap setup that mine does? That could easily be the problem...

-David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems, San Diego '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) schwarze@nosc.mil '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) =============================================================================