Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Aug 94 21:53:37 ADT
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: Overheating

>>I have an '89 Westfalia camper that seems to be running hot. The temp gauge >>>tends to run above the red light on the gauge, <snip> >My 83 Westfalia has a similar problem. I "believe" that this is not normal. <snip>

>No matter how hard I pushed on the gas pedal the temp simply stayed put. >How about everyone else? What are the readings of temp of your vanagon?

Yes, mine too. No deviation from normal mid-gauge operating temperature conditions no matter how abusively I drive. I've only heard the electric fan kick-in a few times in summer-stationary-rush-hour, and that goes away fast if I up the throttle to a fast idle and circulate some water past the rad/fan. BUT.... when the beast is low on water and the pump sucks air it only takes about 15 seconds to put the needle past HOT-YOU-IDIOT and make the little red eye wink at me furiously. Partly plugged lines (corrosion-crud and metal-chips?) will push your temp up to a higher steady-state reading without terminal meltdown, soak/flushing helps then.

QUESTION: Has anyone seen a replacement rad for these beasts with a filler cap in it.? The front light grill is held in with 5 Dzus (sp?) screws and is a damn sight easier and quicker to remove than 200 lbs of luggage, bed mattress, and engine hatch. A filler cap high up front would probably save a lot of frustration with coolant problems all around. Any sightings? Anyone done a non-VW refit that worked?