Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Aug 94 21:40:16 EDT
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: rubber surrounding the pop top

Yes: we had the same problem and fixed it right after we bought the van about four months ago. There is the cheap short term solution and the long term one which involves repalcing the rubber. JCJoel's has it for about $80 I think, but you probably also want to replace the front rubber as well and I don't know if that is included. Here's what we did for the cheap solution.

1. Although the rubber degrades it is really the metal clamping that rusts out and loses it holding power, thus you will need to find an effective substitute. I have found that windshield cement works well IF you are careful in applying it because it is semi-permanent and black.

2. Remove the entire strip of rubber, this is easily done by lifting the top up about 1/3 of the way. That way you can get the front portion off via the tent zipper opening. The back portion comes off easiest when standing about half of an inch off the roof. Make sure you remember where your start and end points are otherwise you will find it difficult to "round" the rear corners. After pulling it off, clean out all the rusted stuff thoroughly using a screwdriver or a sharp pointy stick (not a banana). This must be thorough because the rusty stuff will not hold and will in fact mnake the job less effective (it also looks lousy when it leaves drip marks down the side of the van). Use a hose or forceful spray o water to clean it out.

3. I found it easiest to reapply the trim in sections or sides. Apply the cement and use plenty of clamps spaced about 1-2 feet apart. If you have lost all of your clamping power in the strip you will need to make more clamps. I ran short and was using everything from vice grips to battery cable clips. The cement dries quickly so act fast and diligently. You will also need to reapply in areas that didn't take. if your roof is white as is mine you would want to be careful about where you put the stuff. Don't apply to much in one area because it is semi-permanent. Later, when all is dried, you can check out the integrity of the hold and fill in any gaps....

I have dones this more than few times on the rear window of my KG Convert which has the glass window and drains to the inside of the car...believe me you want a solid seal....

4. Looking out through the tent opening is also a good time to remove the front portion. (I was amazed what was under there -leaves, branches of trees, very small rocks, etc etc). It comes with four or five covered nuts accesible through the tent and a couple of sideand front screws. It is easier to reapply the rubber on the front portion with it off. If you live in a rainy area as I do it is worth fixing/replacing because the rubber does an excellent job of protecting the paint and body underneath. The difference between exposed and unexposed paint is amazing....

5. All told the job should take only a couple of hours... Good luck