Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Aug 94 08:47:49 EDT
From:         Davidmuhl@aol.com
Subject:      Re: '71 bus fuel cap

I don't think you will find a Stant or any other locking gas cap for a '71 bus. At least I haven't had any luck. If you haven't tried the dealer yet for a replacement you'll be in for a shock as last time I checked it was $40 or $50. I have seen aftermarket gas caps for '71 buses that look good quality-wise. JBugs in Southern California has them in their store and will mail order. Their phone number in CA is (310)978-0926, out of CA (800)445-2847. They were about $10 if I recall. You might check your local wrecking yard as there were two kinds of factory caps. The most common seems to be a rather thick flat top cap. I have found a couple of thinner caps with a VW logo embossed over the entire top that are really trick. BTW, I believe the filler neck size on the '71 may have continued to '72 or '73, and I think it is shared by the Things. Hope this helps.

David '71 Bus