Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Aug 94 08:37:41 CDT
From:         "J. Walker" <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: doughnut spare gas tank

On Tue, 30 Aug 94 04:00:12 CDT Bradley said: >You people are lucky. I only get about 200 miles/tank. I get about >18 MPG, and 10.5 gallon tank. I was thinking if just getting a rack for >2 jerry cans on the back. And that would also give me a cool adventurer >look. :)

i've seen pictures of a bus with an extended 'platform'-looking bumper on the back. it had a small moped-type bicycle creature tied down and two jerry cans. i'd worry a little bit about the heat and the idiot behind me. don't know if it would be safer to mount any such cans on the front. on the roof would be a back-wrenching ordeal to get down.

i had thought about all that room up under the bus, you know, where the gas heater and stuff can go, or the propane tank for the camper. anyway, i plotted and planned about some self-made or professional-crafted fuel cells to fit up in there ... but the designs turned out to be so long and skinny that i figured it wouldn't be able to suck the gas out too well. and no way to fill it (except gravity from the main tank).

i wrote to Oettinger about getting the plans for that 100-liter tank for the vanagons (thinking to make the modifications to an existing one from a junk yard), but they wouldn't go for it ... the letter implied that they were afraid of american lawyers. :(

do you suppose bradley could fit a 16 gallon tank from a 68-> bus in his split? that would give you about 275 miles or so.

joel