Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Aug 1994 18:45:28 +0100
From:         nstn0207@fox.nstn.ns.ca (Andrew Kirk)
Subject:      Re: How to Steal VW Vans Quickly

>Ha....thought this might get your attention. > >My van has been burglarized four times over the years, almost always by >someone prying/breaking open the right hand vent window in front. What is >the experience of others on the list, I wonder? > >Any defensive ideas ? Favorite alarms?

My beetle was broken into a few years back. The thief stole a sleping bag from the back. It was a cold night and I figured who ever stole it needed it.

Later my '74 camper was broken into to steal my $30 radio. They broke the little window which cost more than the stinkin' radio. I replaced both and stopped locking the camper. Now on my second camper, I still don't lock it. I park downtown and leave very little to steal in it. I also live in a little city where thieves aim more for red, expensive sports cars and not that old "hipppie van" over there. My fly-rod and vest are the most expensive things and they're up under the top. I've not been broken in since, but I'm sure it will happen, this time with as little damage as possible.

I broke into a van once that someone had parked on a hill by pounding on the side window until it moved the latch over enough to get to the lock mechanism. The van was slowly, inch by inch rolling down the hill and into traffic. I got the hand brake off and eased it back to the side of the road before the steering locked. I put the hand brake on tighter and left a note. A small crowd watched me. It was strange.

andrew.