Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Aug 1994 18:57:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:         dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu (Sami Dakhlia)
Subject:      Re: misc

>TIRES I bought a 77 Camper about two years ago. I figured when one of >the worn out tires blew it was time to replace the set. I called a dozen >different places and received a dozen different reccommedations including >three different Michelins (XZX, LTX, ?). Rather than risk retreads or

I, too, am (still) shopping around for new tires. What I was told is that Michelin is *temporarily* out of XZXs and that manufacturing will resume in about 2 weeks. Does that make sense?

>GAS CAP Every time I filled the tank I'd get gas fumes in the bus for >about the next hundred miles, especially when I turned a corner. I was

Do you usually top off at the gas station? Try not to and see if it helps.

>HEATER OK, I've had my share of ice-box winter driving here around the >foothills of the Rockies. Anyone know of an effective non-smelly, >heat-producing solution? I've gotten suggestions ranging from auxillary >gas to plug-in electrical heaters. My camper has two batteries, I'm not

There is an ad in the october issue of Hot VWs on page 18. It's called Instaheater and is basically an electric heater blower with a magnet so you can attach it to any steel surface inside the car.It comes in 4 different versions: 360, 540, 720, and 960 watts and cost between $189 and $259. Phone # is (718) 476-1723. I'm not sure this will be sufficient for a van, though.

>MUFFLER Where can I find a decent muffler system? I did my calling

After lots of phone calls, I finally got a muffler for my 75 bus from the Bus Boys (phone#: (916) 244 1616). It's not stock but a Monza style exhaust system and hooks up directly at the heater boxes, so there's no need for costly J-pipes and elbow, etc... It's $105. (not legal in CA, however).

Sami

dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu