Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Aug 94 22:52:44 ADT
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: help from you breadloafers or former ones...

Hi, used to own a '78 seven seater, came with 2.0 litre fuel injected motor and would very easily push up to almost 80 mph before it 'wound up'. Top speed and cruising speed for '71 single carb 1600 was listed as 68 mph, for '72 2 carb 1700 @ 78mph, after that the owners manual stopped giving a figure, 65mph? NO WAY. The tranny shouldn't have reduction boxes! They also weren't on my '71 Westy, oldest VW bus I've owned. The vehicle sounds like it had a checkered past, dubious maintenance, neglect and some strange mechanical transplants. carbs??, tranny?? Push rod tubes leaks are minor to fix in that year, if it's the real engine. Rust OVER (???) the 3 fenders means it's coming out from the inside, where the wheel arches are joined to the outer body skin. If that's the case then you've got more cancer than is worth buying into, as this is one of the last places to go. I first look for rust at the rear of the front wheel wells, down low. A quick check is to put the jack in the jack tube and raise the vehicle. If the vehicle has an axle/scissor jack, or the 'owner' gets fidgety then there's probably cancer there. With the vehicle on the jack, open the door, get in heavily, and try to close the door gently. If it hangs up or hits hard (out of alignment) then the beast is getting soft, encroaching rot! Check how smoothly the sliding door moves, rot in the passenger side front wells lets dirt into the lower door track, spreading the rust on. Look at the top of the front bumper mounting/reinforcing beam, between bumper and body. There is a visible full width seam there, if it's rippled then rust has invaded there (this applies to Vanagons too) Even if it's painted, no body shop can get out those ripples. I'd really look hard at this bus, even well under $1000, if you have to sink another $1000 I wouldn't do it. I had my heads re-valved, did wonders for performance but I started to get a deep knock from one of the main bearings as it softened up under the increased compression loads. Sorry to be so negative, I miss my '78, it was as good a performer (yes!) as my current '85, just a bit noisier, narrower, colder..... but a damn sight cheaper to fix. A good '78 is worth having, a credit to VW etc. but a junker is a junker! I vote NO. IMHO!!!! other opinions may vary. bye, tim s.

P.S. my '78 cost me $CDN 2250 in 1984, with 105K kilometres, bought as is from a VW dealer, needed only a muffler. BTW he ripped me off, I found out the previous owner was given $1600 trade-in on a new Jetta! S.O.B.'s