Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Aug 94 9:22:23 PDT
From:         ritchiej@ucs.orst.edu (John Ritchie)
Subject:      Re: Sob!! $ob!!

Emerson writes: > > Anyone who rebuilds the Solex carbs that came with the '72 and '73 buses > should probably seek professional help. Either the Dellarto or Weber kits > are fine (I have Dellartos in my '72) and give the ol' Velveeta wagons > good power. > > The best advice I can give on jetting is to find a mechanic you trust and > let him/her fiddle with the adjustments for a few days. Admittedly, this > can get a little pricey -- $150-200 if the bus stays for a week -- but I > had a thorough job done two years ago and a recent Unisyn check still > showed good-enough air/fuel adjustment. Yeah, it's a couple of bills to > get this done, but it beats new car payments. >

[stuff deleted]

I agree with Emerson on both counts... When I bought my Dellortos I got them through a reputable shop that had dealt with them a lot. The guy there knew exactly what jets to put on for my 1800 engine so it was "plug and play." I've had them for 3 years now and have been pretty satisfied.

Apologies on my earlier post, I'm reminded that new Solexes aren't available any more, I think my quote for them was for rebuilt Solexes. I agree with Emerson, though; why get new teensy little Solexes when, for the same money, you can get a huge jump in performance?

John