Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Aug 1994 14:32:10 -0600 (MDT)
From:         Emerson Schwartzkopf <eschwa@csn.org>
Subject:      Re: Sob!! $ob!!

David S. brings us a good point in rebuilding stock Solexes to meet smog checks, although I think the Dellartos and Webers could pull off a legal sticker with not a lot of effort. I live in a place where we don't have these little wonderful things of life, although my '74 superbeet didn't pass an inspection when I had it in Denver. I drove it out of the shop and came back the next day -- and right before it went in, I marked the idle screw and then turned it a wee bit. The car really gasped into the garage, but it recorded some of the finest CO2 readings ever. As soon as the sticker went on, the idle screw was turned back in the parking lot. The guys doing the inspection didn't care ... they TOLD me to do it.

Enough digression. Solexes can be rebuilt, although the happiest day of my life with the '72 Sign Bus came when those Dellartos fired up in tune. BTW, I get about 19-20 mpg on the highway ... including a cruise at 80- mph or so down the carpool lane of the 91 freeway.

Emerson Schwartzkopf Gunnison, Colorado eschwa@csn.org A warm spot in a cold place